Sunday, October 25, 2009

What could be the reasons a person grinds their teeth?

I heard that grinding teeth could mean you have parasites. :-( I've also heard stress causes it- but other people have stress and no grinding... anyways, I wondered if anyone knows more reasons that a person would grind their teeth
Answer:
Tweekers do it, too.

Doctors don't completely understand the causes of bruxism (teeth grinding/jaw clenching) . In some adults, abnormal alignment of upper and lower teeth (malocclusion) may contribute to the problem.

More often, psychological factors cause bruxism, including:

Anxiety, stress or tension
Suppressed anger or frustration
Aggressive, competitive or hyperactive personality type

In children, bruxism may be related to growth and development. Some researchers think children brux because their top and bottom teeth don't fit together comfortably. Others believe that children grind their teeth because of tension, anger, allergy problems, or as a response to pain from an earache or teething. Bruxism occurs in up to 30 percent of children, often around the ages of 5 and 6. It's particularly common in children with cerebral palsy or severe mental retardation. But most children outgrow bruxism before they get their adult teeth.

In some cases, bruxism isn't caused by stress or dental problems. It can be a complication of another disorder, such as Huntington's disease or Parkinson's disease. It can also be an uncommon side effect of some psychiatric medications including antidepressants.
Typically it is because of stress...I've never heard anything about parasites. However, if you're having tooth pain, prior to the grinding, it could be that, too (such as wisdom teeth coming in)
Anxiety.
I grind my teeth, I do it when I'm upset about something but don't want to talk about it, or if I'm really stressed out. Sometimes I clench my teeth as well.
Sometimes it can be parasites. but mostly i think it is stress related. Why do others have stress and not grind? It is how we handle our stress. Usually people that vent their stress do not internalize it so much. For whatever reason, some keep it within and others can turn loose of it.
I grind my teeth. I tend to do it more when I'm stressed. I doubt parasites have anything to do with it.
Most people do it because of anxiety, some people with OCD (Obsessive-compulsive Disorder) do it aswell.

Some drug addicts and people who are prescribed certain medications can do it aswell, which is usually just a side effect of the drug.
If you are talking about grinding their teeth in their sleep no one in the medical field seems to agree on the 'why' of it. I have done this since childhood and I have consulted many different doctors and they all seem to contradict each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 


What do you © 2008. Design by: Pocket Web Hosting

vc .net