Sunday, October 25, 2009

What could cause so much swelling in my lower legs & feet?

I am on my feet at work all day and as soon as I get home and actually sit down for a while...my feet swell up horrible!! I mean really horrible. Any one else ever experienced this? Also can anyone tell me how I can get the swelling down hopefully faster rather than slower? I know elevating my feet is one way...but I have 5 very active boys that hardly ever let me sit down for any length of time LOL!

Any other ways to get swelling down besides elevation??

I know I should go to the doctor...its just very hard working 6 days a week %26 then having all my boys with me at the doctors.

Any suggestions welcome!!

Thanks in advance!!
Answer:
I see patients with this problem all the time in the clinic where I work. I don't know your age or what major health conditions you have, which makes it a little more difficult. It does sound like you have some edema. The most common treatment for this is compressive stockings or hose. If you cannot see a doctor, then I would highly recommend you go by the store on your way home and purchase some compressive stockings. Or, you can purchase them over the internet from home without even leaving your house. You do not need to wear full pantyhose; stockings that go to your knees will be the best for you. Here is a link for you. If you do a search for "compression stocking" on yahoo.com, you will also find other sites in addition to the one below.
Swelling, or edema, is a very common discomfort of pregnancy. It's estimated that about 75% of women will experience this excessive accumulation of fluid around the legs and ankles at some point during pregnancy. Here are some helpful hints on dealing with normal swelling in pregnancy:


Try rest. When the weather is warm, or you've been standing on your feet for awhile, or even just at the end of your day, you may notice that your feet feel tight, your shoes don't fit, or just a general puffiness. In general swelling is nothing to be alarmed about. Most women report that swelling subsides after a good night's rest, or several hours lying down.

What you take in counts. If you'd like to take a more active approach in treating edema, there are a couple of things you can do to help relieve the symptoms.

The first, and probably one of the best and most important, is to drink a lot of water. While it doesn't seem like it makes sense to get rid of fluids by taking in more, the extra fluids will help flush out your system of waste products which may have increased swelling. You really need at least 8 eight ounce glasses of water a day. The best tip I have for accomplishing this is to fill up a container to carry around and empty it by the end of the day.

The truth about salt. While many people believe that swelling is caused by excessive amounts of salt in the diet, the opposite is also true. Limiting the amount of salt you take in can cause swelling as well. As with all things, moderation is the key to balance.

Try water or hydrotherapy. A new study out last fall suggests that even beyond the once told water immersion, water aerobics can help with swelling. Being in a pool of water helps the body shed the excess fluids through the kidneys, while supporting the pregnant uterus.

Here are some other basic tips to help reduce swelling and related discomforts:

Don't wear elastic topped socks or knee-hi pantyhose.
Wear comfortable shoes. Slip on types work best.
Put your feet up when possible.
If you stand at work, try to move around slightly or get a stool to prop a foot up.
Try support pantyhose.
When Swelling is Not Normal

When swelling is sudden or extreme, or found in not only the legs and feet, but face and hands, it can be something serious. You should report this type of swelling to your midwife or doctor immediately. You should also report swelling that does not go away after many hours of rest. If you're at a higher risk for complications that include swelling like preecclampsia your practitioner should have explained what you are looking for and when it needs to be reported.

Whenever you're concerned about your swelling or other medical questions, never hesitate to talk to your doctor or midwife.
Water retention, speak to your Dr about possible medications, eat less salt if any at all! (it retains water)
You need to see the dr and get tests done, blood, urine, and veinogram/cat scan to see what is going on, rule out organ problems, diabetes, and blood clots. It could be you have lymphedema, the swelling pattern sounds typical of it, and if you do indeed get a diagnosis, you need prompt treatment as it does worsen with time and treatments help stop the progression. I can go on and on about what lymphedema is but I'll leave my site http://www.lymphland.com and let you read up on it and get the tests done, if you do have lymphedema email me and I can help you find treatment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 


What do you © 2008. Design by: Pocket Web Hosting

vc .net