Sunday, October 25, 2009

What could cause frequent muscle twitches and spasms?

I've had problems with hypokalemia before (lack of Potassium) to the point where I needed an IV of Potassium. The doctors regularly test my blood to make sure I don't need supplements and I'm wondering if a drop in Potassium could cause these twitches. They are extremely frequent and occur all over my body. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Answer:
You bet. Potassium is also an important factor in heart function. It is probably some form of electrolyte imbalance. You need to see your primary physician right away. This could be dangerous. It's better to be safe than sorry.
i get them in my eye somtimes. don't think it's a big deal, maybe see a dr. if you get them alot
terret syndrome..i get them to
it could be. What came to mind to me was a low calcium level. Your doc should tell you what signs to look for when your K is low. A low potassium is associated with cramping.
I was dehydrated once and low on potassium and started shaking and was put on an IV too, I have to watch my potassium levels. Another possible is low on magnesium. (Found in green veggies and nuts)
My Dad's doctor told him to stay away from the caffeine because it caused him to have muscle spasms. If I'd hear him up jumping around at night I would tease him about cheating with the caffein. Now I have the same problem. If I drink too many caffeinated things I will get muscle spasms in my legs, feet and hands. Also being low in potassium can cause it so I keep bananas around and have at least one potato a day. There are certain drugs also that affect some people with spasms like certain antidepressants. Mmm

No comments:

Post a Comment

 


What do you © 2008. Design by: Pocket Web Hosting

vc .net