Sunday, October 25, 2009

What could this pain in my chest be caused by?

I took some expired allergy medicine because I broke out in hives today, and after I ate lunch (a cheeseburger and fries) I started having horrible chest pain. I took half a roll of rolaids, and drank some milk.but it doesn't seem to help. The pain is right in the center of my chest, in the area where my heart is, and in the bottom of my throat. Its been like this for the last 5 hours. I don't smoke. What could this pain be?
Answer:
Since you broke out in hives, you may have had respiratory symptoms as well. It sounds like your larynx (throat) and bronchi (tubes leading to lungs) are inflammed. IF this is the case, a steroid should help, which your doctor can prescribe you. Even benadryl may do the trick, I would suggest trying Benadryl or any diphenhydramine product you can buy at the store. But never use expired medicine, either it can cause a reaction, or the more likely effect, just simply not work anymore.
It's probably acid reflux. Your heart is actually to the left.
probably heartburn.
You didn't say how old you were, but then again, age doesn't matter when heart attacks happens. My husband (38 years old) had a bad case of what he thought was heartburn for 24 hours and decided to go to the ER. They did an extensive EKG and found he had an heart attack. So if that indigestion last too long with the use of antacids, then go to the ER. Heart attacks among women go undetected because they think that their symptoms does not warrant a trip to the ER. Better to be safe and go.
Honestly, you should go to a doctor right away. None of this can be properly diagnosed by any one of us.

I had a somewhat similar problem last year. I had bronchitis several times and developed severe chest pain at one point while recovering from the infection, after experiencing some hive-like symptoms. I went to the hospital and they gave me some unremarkable drugs and I went home. Two weeks later, I had the same pain with none of the prior symptoms, and rushed to the hospital in a fit of hysteria. This time they did different tests and diagnosed me with pleurisy, which was the cause of the severe chest pain, which was excruciating beyond belief. I could barely breathe.

So, even though I thought I had a regular cold and just some chronic bronchitis, the entire bottom half of my left lung was completely inflamed.

Not to be a crazy person telling you you're at death's door, but it goes without saying that seeing a doctor is a must.



And, might I add, taking expired allergy medicine is a bad idea, but I'm sure you're aware of that by now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 


What do you © 2008. Design by: Pocket Web Hosting

vc .net